Featured Expert Witness for Fire Protection and Safety Engineering
Name: Michael J. Slifka, PE
Location: Middleton, WI
Specialty: Engineering, architecture, planning and design
Sub-specialty: Safety and security, fire and explosions, building code compliance and quality assurance, including construction defects
Expert witness profile description provided by Mr. Slifka:
Drawing on 30+ years of knowledge and experience in resolving complex problems with straight-forward, non-complex wisdom and communication.
Michael Slifka brings a multi-faceted array of capability and experience in fire protection consulting to your needs and the ability to guide you to the est approach to achieve the optimal solution.
Since 1966 I have been actively and successfully practicing in the broad array of the fire protection engineering field from Research and Development to Building/Fire code development. This includes the creative input to and enforcement of the Building Codes and Fire Standards; as well as consulting on the Codes and Standards as a given project may require. Over the years, this has led to fire protection engineering on major projects throughout the United States. I have also been internationally recognized in litigation support and qualified as an expert witness consulting on cases in the United States and its Territories.
Fire Protection, Life Safety, Health Care, High-rise Construction and Expert witness are all serious undertakings – and they require a detailed clear-eyed and experienced approach.
Mr. Slifka is listed in Courtroom Insight’s expert witness directory as an engineering, architecture, planning and design expert. He is trained in the highly technical and specialized field of Fire Protection and Safety Engineering. He is qualified in Federal and State Courts and has been involved in “prominent and legally sensitive, large death fires.” Some of those include:
- Las Vegas Hilton & MGM Grand fires in Las Vegas, NV
- Happy Land Social Club in New York City
- DuPont Plaza Hotel & Casino in San Juan Puerto Rico
- The Station Fire in Rhode Island
So far I have been very busy in the recent months with my consulting on a wide variety of fires, lawsuits and building designs. Here is a list of my most recent work. Details and references are available by request via my contact information as shown in this profile and on my web site.
1) Boiler explosion, Whitewater, WI…lawsuit, case review, expert report and deposition case ongoing.
2) Carbon Monoxide poisoning, Casper, WY…lawsuit,on site inspection case review, expert report and deposition case ongoing
3) Wood burning fireplace and chimney fire, Freedom, IN…lawsuit, onsite inspection, case review and expert report case ongoing.
4) Restaurant hood and grill fire, Madison, WI… lawsuit,on site inspection, case review and expert report
5) Wood burning fireplace and chimney fire, Bloomington, WI…lawsuit, case review and expert report case settled.
6) House fire, Madison,WI…on site inspection, verbal report with photos.
7) House fire, Galena, IL…on site inspection, verbal report with photos case settled..
8) House fire, Pomeroy, OH…on site inspection, verbal report with photos case ongoing.
9) House fire, Oakdale, CA…on site inspection, verbal report with photos case ongoing..
10) Office Structure fire, La Farge, WI…on site inspection, verbal report with photos, case ongoing..
11) Farm Products Plant fire, Echo Lakes, WI…retained, awaiting case file
12) Risk analysis of 24 Federal Office Buildings in CA, AZ & NV…on site inspections, with detailed Fire Safety Evaluation System reports and analysis (FSES…NFPA 101A) and supporting photos
13) Design Consultation on 4 separate building projects, 2 modular apartment complexes and 2 hospital additions (an MRI and a Gait Laboratory) in Salt Lake City, UT
14) I will be in trial in Clayton, MO on the St. Louis Airport fire (2006).
15) I will be in trial in Casper, WY on the carbon monoxide poisoning case listed in 2 above.
Michael Slifka also has numerous professional qualifications
- Registered Professional Fire Protection Engineer – California (FP 479)
- Fellow in Fire Forensics/Fire Investigations, American College of Forensic Examiners (ACFE
- Diplomat in Fire Forensics/Fire Investigations, American Board of Forensic Examiners (ABFE)
Be sure to check out Mr. Slifka’s expert witness profile for more information: